 Off-Topic / Debate / 3448
Re: Libitarian guff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 05:34:11 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Richard Franks wrote in message ...
Assuming that making systems and services more efficient won't cost • millions of
jobs.. oh wait!

But if production is made more efficient, this means that those doing the
production will get more money, and when you dig all the way down,
ultimately the only way to actually spend the money is to increase jobs (or
cause inflation). Now I suppose a market inefficiency could be introduced by
the rich just passing the money around, but it seems to me then that the
rich guy who decides not to play that game will come out ahead, because
while A and B are passing their money back and forth, C is out using his
additional money to increase production even more by hiring more people (and
perhaps even passing some of the wealth to the workers by increasing their
pay - which of course makes happier workers, who will probably produce more,
which means....).

This is precisely why Ford decided to pay his workers 5 bucks a day when
people were making 1 and 2 dollars a day. He wanted them to be rich,
relatively speaking, and be able to afford his products (and those of
his friends). And it worked.

Wild thought which I have not investigated: are their people who came out of
the market crash of 1929 ahead because instead of investing their money in
the play money of stocks, invested it in workers and production?

I know for a fact that this is the case. The crash was a chance (just as
any bankruptcy is a chance) for people who were better at managing
resources to displace those who were merely riding atop a bubble
fostered by government.

Either way, if not handled properly Libertopia would be a lot worse before
it

started becoming better.

I don't think that Larry has ever denied that it will not be easy to make
the transition (and there are some concrete things that will make the
transition difficult such as Social Security).

While I don't claim it will be easy, I DO claim it can be done and done
in such a way as to not be as disruptive as say, a brush war or a
moderate panic (the late 70's stagflation for instance). No one will
lose their life savings, those who planned around the government taking
care of them will be no worse off, and so forth.

Ah, so the charities are like a mini dollar-electable government?

No, they're like a marketplace. They don't govern anything because they
don't have the force mandate.