 Off-Topic / Debate / 3436
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:43:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper Janssen writes:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:25:12 GMT, "Richard Franks" wrote:

Sounds more likely to me that they'd sponser specific children from early
childhood to working age. It's a lot cheaper, you get much more focussed
workers and they already know how to do the job before they start working if
you indoctrinate them enough.

You think that's a _good_ thing?

Er, no.

You think a child in "early childhood" is qualified to make the choice
of not only profession, but even lifelong employer?

No!

Sounds like slavery, by any other name.

Yep!

Aside from that, you think that corporations will take a view _that_
long-term? Corporations don't look that far into the future. Then
suddenly if there's scarcity of workers, what they _won't_ do is start
a program that only reaps benefits 15 years on.

Actually, I agree - but the Frank's assumption that I was responding to was
that corperations would invest in education because the job market would become
so tight due to the benefits of Libertarianism.

You could probably conjecture that under a Libertarian system, companies would
start taking a longer view?

Companies sponser high-school kids just now, that is 5-10 years foresight in
our existing system!

So there is the existing tax system, and replacing it is a system of charity
which (the government?) decides to give $X to education, $Y to defence etc.

Which individual donors decide _how_ to spend.

Libertarian documentation speaks of private charities, which I'm assuming is
something that takes donations and doles out the money to respective services?
Or does each service have its separate private charity?

Also mentioned is tax-credit incentives for people who pay money to a charity.
If the incentives differ for each charity then the individual is coorced into
supporting services which they don't want to.

Richard