 Off-Topic / Debate / 3422
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:05:18 GMT

<Fo04xr.MoE@lugnet.com> <slrn87djsf.fag.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>

Matthew Miller wrote:

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
So just because your dad happened to build a house somewhere, you think the
whole world should bow down and provide all the "niceties" of life,
regarless of whether the location your dad built his house on was a sensible
location?

It's a very sensible location. It's land that has been in the family for a
while and has unmeasurably high personal value. In fact, there are lots of
equally valuable connections to places and people in the surrounding
community, despite the "nonsensibility" of a slight majority of the
neighbors.

But like I said, there are many people with even deeper (moral, social,
financial, historical) attachments to their location than those my family
has. Are they just being "silly"?

Not at all. Not all value can be as easily judged as the operating
budget of a library. But if your property has immeasurable value, that's
one thing. At some point, if the absence of a library were bugging you
out, you'd have to measure the value of staying in a community you have
strong ties to but that has chosen not to have a library against moving.

I suspect you'd be able to make the trade off.

If they can build it for a cost which is worthwhile to them, they will
build it. If it costs more than it is worth to them, then it's cost is more
than it's worth to them. Perhaps

What if it costs more than they _have_?

Then they can't have it.

I personally would like, very very much, to own a space shuttle. I think
it would be really neat and it would actualise my potential and it would
be more educational than any other thing I could possibly own. But I am
18 billion short. There are no free goods.