 Off-Topic / Debate / 3409
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 05:24:54 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
Oh, I suspect the school system will end up getting just as much money. If
nothing else, corporations will spend the money so that they can get trained
workers (which is where the bulk of the money should come from anywise,

Yes, we saw this in the 19th century coal-mine towns a lot.

Isn't it more in corporations' interest to teach people that they have no
rights, that they should submit to the will of The Company?

The obvious part that you're missing is what Larry calls "life affirming".
The idea that people actually are basically good. Of course while this is
obvious to me, people saddled with the Christian based belief that "people
are inherently bad." will have a hard time seeing the opposite (even when

People may be inherently good, but there's a large historical record
demonstrating that people are also greedy, selfish, and power-hungry. (This
doesn't necessarily contradict -- it just means that people are
complicated.)