 Off-Topic / Debate / 3351
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 02:07:06 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
No he didn't. Godwin specifically refers to calling contributors in
the thread nazis/nazilike, not to just mentioning them.

Oh, but it's long been extended beyond that. I'd agree with larry; any
mention of nazis is grounds for losing. Check out the jargon file entry:

  Godwin's Law -- [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the
  probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
  There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is
  over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever
  argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the
  existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups.

So really, we should end the entire thread. I don't see that happening any
time really soon though. :)