 Off-Topic / Debate / 3303
Re: Art! or Not Art!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 18:27:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper Janssen writes:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:05:06 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

When I hear people not being willing to define art and thus in essence say • art is
everything, I try and provide things that I think art isn't.  If some moron • artist
actually thinks this is some sort of performance art, _on what basis_ can we
respond "You are an idiot and a charlatan" if we concede that art is • everything?
Appeal to laws?  Do the laws of men define art?

Because it is _bad_ art. Not because it's not art.

Jasper

Bad art is usually consigned to the Not Art category, but only over time.

Unless it's an illustration, in which case it is Not Art immediately. :-)

Bruce