 Off-Topic / Debate / 3293
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:17:11 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 05:05:06 GMT, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net>
wrote:

When I hear people not being willing to define art and thus in essence say art is
everything, I try and provide things that I think art isn't.  If some moron artist
actually thinks this is some sort of performance art, _on what basis_ can we
respond "You are an idiot and a charlatan" if we concede that art is everything?
Appeal to laws?  Do the laws of men define art?

Because it is _bad_ art. Not because it's not art.

How does that help? Who decides what's bad? Aren't you still in the mode
of not having an objective standard? Now, this whole thing may be
futile, I tend to come down on the side of "there isn't an easy way to
define what art is, it is based on each person's value system to make
the determination", which is not the view that John Neal has. But you've
just traded the "is it art?" question for a similar one "is it bad art?"
which is just as dependent on internal values of the observer.