 Off-Topic / Debate / 325
324  |  326
Subject:
Here we go again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:16:40 GMT

Matt,

I found an exmple of a functioning theocracy for you.  The following
story appeared on cnn.com recently.  Keep in mind that these people are
only trying to enforce a simple moral code, not regualting morality or
anything:

Afghan police crack down on
men who trim beards

December 30, 1998
Web posted at: 4:28 a.m. EST (0928 GMT)

KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Afghanis who trim too much from their
beards could face the sting of religious police during a fresh crackdown
on
beard sizes in the Afghan capital, residents said on Wednesday.

They said patrolling teams of religious police from Aghanistan's purist
Taliban movement have jailed dozens of men on charges of trimming their
beards since the start of the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan 12
days
ago.

The fundamentalist Taliban movement controls 90 percent of Afghanistan
and boasts to be building the world's purist Islamic state.

As part of its strict interpretation of Islam, the Taliban have banned
girls from education, and barred women from working outside the home,
except in the medical field.

While women are required to wear an all-enveloping burqa covering their
body from top to toe, men are ordered not to wear Western clothing and
grow beards to the size of a fist, according to Taliban rulings.

While the religious police have brought relative security and cracked
down
on crimes, they have also roamed city streets and publicly lashed women
who violate the regulations.

Men who have trimmed their beards are jailed for 10 days.  The ruling is
also applied to Afghans returning home after visiting other countries.

Most are put in the notorious Puli Charkhi prison, once used by the
Communists for persecuting and executing opposition Islamists, local
Kabul
residents said.

"We have told the people many times to abide by the regulations, but
some
turn a deaf ear and imprisoning them is justified because we want them
improve spiritually," the head of the religious police was quoted by a
resident as saying.

The Taliban have drawn world criticism for their human rights practices
since coming to power in 1996, but say they will not change their
policies.

Do you see the point here, Matt?

/ _ _ / _ _  The high cost of living has not diminished its popularity
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============