 Off-Topic / Debate / 3231
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:35:57 GMT

Just to put my oar in here, I too oppose the NEA precisely because it is
not the place of government to decide what sort of art to foster (which
it, having limited funds, must inevitably do).

It is sheer hubris for a government drone to think that his judgement is
superior to that of the market...

If an artist cannot afford to finance his own work, and cannot find a
patron willing to donate funds, perhaps that artist's work is not worthy
of further consideration. The market's never wrong.

I would rather choose how to spend my buck fifty myself. That would be
true even if it were .000230234 cents we were talking about. Funding art
is WAY afield from the proper sphere of government (defense, internal
and external, and administration of justice).