 Off-Topic / Debate / 3202
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:13:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
I think the biggest thing in regards to this was that the art in
question (Madonna, elephant dung, etc.), in which Guliani was referring
to, was paid for with taxpayers money. As an advocate of eliminating the
NEA (National Endowment for the Arts), this is another example of
government waste. We can go on and on in terms of what art is and isn't,
in which I agree with both of you, but I don't think public funding for
any projects like this are needed. If you want to make it, fine, but
don't expect me to pay for the tab.

Scott:
  Wow!  We're agreeing (mostly)!  How did that happen?
  Wasn't part of Guiliani's problem that the state-funded museum was also
charging admission?  I seem to remember that, but I could easily be wrong.
  I don't think the NEA should be abolished, but I think its aim has become
blurred.  There's no way to support one artist while denying another without
establishing an artist-of-the-state, but the NEA could be beneficially applied
to libraries and similar forums (fora?) without endorsing a single artistic
agenda.  However, as you correctly point out, Scott, it's wrong to require the
taxpayer to support an artist--especially a sensationalistic and, frankly,
uninteresting one--whose work is patently offensive to that taxpayer.  Or, at
the very least, the taxpayer should be able to choose where those taxes go, so
that a devout Catholic taxpayer, for example, doesn't have to worry about
funding a seemingly deliberate affront to Catholicism.

     Dave!