 Off-Topic / Debate / 320
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:03:15 GMT

Matt Hanson wrote:

Well, you seem to have overlooked the part I wrote about considerations
of others...  I think that dishonesty, of any kind, should be able to be
punished by law.  I don't really care whose business it is.  You take a
vow to *anyone,* you are entering a contract agreement, and it doesn't
matter what perspective you look at it from.  A promise, is a promise.

But a promise to do what? I agree, people should be held to promises
they make of their free will. But the government has a monopoly on
granting marriage and constrains who can be married and under what
terms. I will not hold a group of people to the terms of the marriage
ceremony if they make it clear that they actually intended another deal
and can prove it.

Contracts must be sancrosanct, but not those that are entered into under
duress, or that do not capture the sense of the parties agreement.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.