 Off-Topic / Debate / 3178
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 19:23:53 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

I have to agree with Tony on that particular word and its ilk.  However, it's not
a grammatical issue but one of comfort level--is swearing (which I wouldn't
define that as) the same as cursing (which I would define that as)?  Children who
are sheltered from the influence of television and public swearing will still
hear the root of that curse at their churches from their clergy, supposedly the
paragons of morality.  The difference is the context.  When a word is
unacceptable in *any* context of a given meaning, that's when it should be
off-limits even as asterisks.  Comfort level will always vary, however--I still
get essays from college students where they refuse to spell out "God" and will
write "G-d".

You won't hear that word very often at my church, but then my religion
doesn't believe in eternal damnation. On the other hand, there are some
people in my church who are VERY uncomfortable with the word God.

I am surprised and intrigued by this notion.  Why would this be?

I'm assuming your asking about the discomfort with the word God. The
reason: atheism/humanism. Many (most) Unitarian Universalists (my
religion) are humanist. Some take that all the way to atheism. It has
caused much difficulty in many of our churches, especially since there
is a new wave of spiritualism in the denomination.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com