 Off-Topic / Debate / 3157
Re: Civil Liberty Resources
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 21:06:34 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <386EEC00.A6E836A1@voyager.net>...
I've not nosed around much on about.com so I can't say how it's
organized, or who decides what is what. But I did stumble across this:

http://civilliberty.about.com/culture/civilliberty/

The "guide" for this area seems to be pretty much aligned with my way of
thinking, it was actually a bit eerie reading his view on the recent
Vermont marriage court ruling.

Good read. The only quibble I would have is the statement:

   "Marriages have traditionally been sanctioned in formal
    style by organized religion, and there is no significant
    religious sect that feels real comfortable when two
    brides come down the aisle — especially if they both have
    beards."

I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a "significant religious sect", but I
know of at least one (and I'm pretty sure of a 2nd) denomination, which I
would consider "significant" which is quite happy to recognize as "marriage"
non-traditional unions. That religion being Unitarian Universalism (which I
am a member of). While it is true that Unitarian Universalism is much less
significant than it was 100 years ago, it has played an important role in
our country (has supplied more than 4 US Presidents (1), numerous
congressmen, almost certainly heavily influenced our constitution and the
Bill of Rights). The 2nd denomination which I'm pretty sure of is the United
Church of Christ.

(1) John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and Howard Taft were
are Unitarians. Thomas Jefferson was essentially a Unitarian (he was closely
associated with the denomination, but never joined a church).

Frank