 Off-Topic / Debate / 3058
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 02:29:23 GMT

Let me say this again (I'll type slowly so you can get it easier;) only God
is good.  Yeah, I know, some people *seem* good and some more than others,
but when you get right down to it, all people are motivated by fear,
selfishness, pride, greed, or some combination of all.  Saying someone is
basically good basically means nothing.  Either one is or isn't.  Goodness
implies perfection, which we aren't (Lar notwithstanding;)

I would rather consider myself imperfect while striving for perfection than
think myself perfect and have everyone know I'm not.  And BTW, Christians
aren't perfect, they are just trying to find their way like everyone else.
The difference is that they are following the way of Jesus; not just
stumbling around in the dark without direction.

Wow.  You have a fairly radical definition of good, it seems.  I tend to think
of good as 'not meaning harm', but that's a very loose and general definition -
don't try to pin me to specifics, please.  "Good" in my books is almost
entirely subjective.

I tend to think that (by the above) most people are good, most of the time.
However, I also think most people are lazy, even when it is clearly in their
benefit not to be.  This is why I think a Libertarian system would be doomed to
failure - it requires too much effort from the individual.

$0.02

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/