 Off-Topic / Debate / 2998
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 18:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Jasper,

Jasper Janssen wrote:

These people don't even know how to use computers half the
time, but somehow they can find Microsoft guilty? I don't think so!

"These people" meaning who?

Well, lets see, Al Gore "Whose FINGER do you want on the
CONTROL-ALT-DELETE Button, for starters. The judge in this case, when it
started (Saw it on CNN), had to have the attorneys demonstrate how to
operate and use a computer. And yet he is supposed to understand the
dynamics of this case? I'm sorry, that is a factor to consider.

  You used this as your SIG at one point, and I commented on it elsewhere, but
since you bring it up here I thought I'd throw in an observation from a
Moderate's viewpoint.
  Obviously Al is alluding to the nuclear "red button" of the Cold War era,
manned so capably by Reagan and Bush.  It seems likely that Al knows these are
in fact three separate buttons, but he was engaging in verbal license to make
a point, lost perhaps on those requiring an absolutely literal
interpretation.  In addition, why should the judge be required to know the
workings of a computer?  Does a judge have to be a ballistics expert or be
skilled in forensic pathology to rule in cases involving esoteric and
intricate information?  If so, no cases would ever be tried, because judges
would have to spend all their time learning about everything.  For that
matter, when Windows 98 debuted, didn't the system crash or in some way fail
to operate up to Microsoft's expectations?  Does this mean that Bill Gates
should be ousted from Microsoft because of a single unfortunate episode?

  I don't have much of an opinion on this argument as a whole, other than to
say that I like Windows, and I certainly prefer it (and its compatible
software) to the other OS's I've used.  However, this sort of straw-
targetting, in which an off-the-cuff comment or anecdotal episode is taken as
representative of the entirety of a person's view or qualifications, is
ridiculous whether put forth by the Left, Right, or Middle.

     Dave!