 Off-Topic / Debate / 28475
Re: A shot in the dark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:33:45 GMT

   Part of Dave K’s post here brought this issue to mind and resonated with a recent news story.

Here’s part of the text of a post I wrote back in 2003. I’ve isolated it here rather than replying in-thread because I don’t want to put any participants in that thread back on the hook for a response. They’re welcome (along with anyone else, of course) to reply as they see fit.

By what logic do you claim the authority to act as judge/jury/executioner simply on the basis that someone has entered your home? Here are a few possibilities worth considering:

1. The “intruder” is mentally incompetent and has entered your home inadvertently
2. The “intruder” is your daughter’s boyfriend who is sneaking out of the house after a late-night visit *authorized* by your daughter
3. The “intruder” is your daughter who has sneaked down to the kitchen for a glass of water during the night

And here’s the news story, sort of a cross between #2 and #3.

It’s especially poignant because it’s unclear whether Scott announced himself or gave the supposed “intruder” a chance to surrender. I suppose we can be glad that he didn’t kill her, but was this really the best way to go about it?

   4. The “intruder,” in desperation, has sought refuge from an attacker by entering your home. In the heat of the moment she had no time to knock and wait for you to answer, which surely would have allowed her attacker to reach her
5. The “intruder” has entered your house in error while intending to visit a friend who owns a similar home (granted, we’re assuming that your door was unlocked)
6. The “intruder” thought that you were a politician who had usurped his rights, and he broke into your home to perform what he considered to be appropriate retaliation
7. The “intruder” is a Canadian liberal who likes “Serenity” too much.

Okay, I’ll give you #7.

Dave!

Well in this case the homeowner was definatly in the wrong. There can be no doubt that he shot without any warning, (otherwise his daughter would have made herself known to him) and thus he can’t claim self defence, because he wasn’t being attacked. In my view that sort of thing is exaclty the reason not to have guns in the house, allowing guns means people like him can have them. To top it all off he is a policeman, what sort of training do they give them in New Haven?

tim