 Off-Topic / Debate / 28155
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:34:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   Hey all :)

Hey, Chris-- long time!

   The threat in Iraq now solely rests upon whether or not we remain in the region.

And it results entirely from the fact that we invaded a sovereign nation under false pretenses.

That doesn’t do much to address the point, Dave! You’re right, but John probably is too.

clunk (jaw on desk)

   Hey, while we’re on the subject, could you please tell me the reason that we invaded Iraq, and could you cite a date that the reason was given?

To secure a stronghold on the oil-fields of the Middle-East in preparation for protecting the US supply chain and projecting force into the increasingly unstable region. The reason has never been given -- the people wouldn’t stand for it.

I would. It’s honest and correct. We shouldn’t have to apologize for protecting our national interests IMO. Nobody else would.

   Please answer these two questions, for the record:
What would qualify as success in Iraq?

The formation of a stable, democratic [1] state of Iraq.

Not likely to occur in the next decade, at least.

So? What if we gave up on Japan after 5 years? On Germany? Who knows what would have happened to them?

It is so strange finding chunks of this conversation where I agree with John.

spppp (monitor sprayed by pop) LOL

   How about the ongoing civil war, which is indeed a civil war by any measure except the one favored by Bushco?

It will only improve if we stay, not go.

Are you sure? On what basis?

It will improve with time whether we stay or go. (Civil wars have winners, afterall.) If we enforce civility the time between now and then will be more pleasant for the average Iraqi. And we’ll have a shot at meeting our original goals.

   And here’s another question: What, specifically, would Bush have to do before you’d say “you know, maybe he has made a royal mess of things?”

The Ayatollah Khomeini created the mess; OBL created the mess; SH was the problem. President Bush is doing what he believes is the best way to fix it.

Whew!

Is that the sigh of relief finding that you finally disagree with me? :-)

   John, maybe he believes that he’s ‘fixing’ the situation to the best of his ability. His belief doesn’t make it so.

I can only say that time will tell. But then again, we will never know what fate we avoided by his having taken action. I think we can say that 9-11 was the result of us not persuing OBL after ‘93, but then again, who knew?

JOHN