 Off-Topic / Debate / 28122
Re: Where's Larry and Hoppy when you need 'em???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:47:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
So, in effect, Gonzales is arguing to the point of *total* arbitrarity.

Agreed.  By being literal.  But I think he did so to counter Specter's
obtuse literalism.

Are you saying that you think Gonzales was joking? Or that he genuinely
ought to "fight stupidity with even greater stupidity"?

I have no idea.  All I'm saying is that if you hold to a strictly literal
interpretation of the Constitution (as Dave initially suggested), you can get
absurd conclusions, as both Specter and Gonzales have illustrated.

And so the game goes on.

[JOHN]

And if you leave the US justice system to sort things out regarding this 'war on
terrah', they deport Canadians to Syria

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070123.wxarar23/BNStory/National/home

I'm glad *some* senators are calling it what it is--

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/01/18/sen-leahy-slams-gonzalez-over-torture/

Leahy: "We knew damn well if he went to Canada he wouldn't be tortured. He'd be
held and he'd be investigated. We also knew damn well if he went to Syria, he'd
be tortured. And it's beneath the dignity of this country, a country that has
always been a beacon of human rights, to send somebody to another country to be
tortured."

Hey John, why do you hate Canadians so much?

;)

Dave K