 Off-Topic / Debate / 28006
28005  |  28007
Subject:
What are your axiomatic religious beliefs and why?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:52:18 GMT

This is an off-shoot from a discussion John Neal and I were having on OT.debate, but I’d like to open up the following question to any religious believers who feel like answering.

What would you say are your axiomatic religious beliefs?

Let’s pare things down to the most basic essentials. Which religious beliefs do you consider unquestionably true beyond a sliver of a doubt? And why do you think these particular beliefs have come to attain this status for you?

For example, take the belief in Jesus’s virgin birth. For most people who believe in Jesus’s virgin birth, it is probably not an axiomatic belief because it is entirely dependent on their more basic belief that What the Bible Says is True. Likewise, the belief that What the Bible Says is True may not be an axiomatic beleif if it depends on more basic religious beleifs such as God Vouches for the Truth of the Bible and God is Entirely Trustworthy. You could continue on and ask if those beliefs are dependent on any even more basic religious beliefs. Dig down as far as you can go and report back.

As a further thought experiment, do you think that if you were raised in a different religion you would have different axiomatic religious beliefs?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer. I am genuinely curious to hear what thoughtful believers have to say on this matter. Although I may ask further questions about people’s beleifs or pose challenges to people’s logic or rationality, my intent is not to mock or ridicule.

-Brendan