 Off-Topic / Debate / 27624
Re: Population control -- was Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:05:08 GMT

if that baby {(in utero)} is considered a person, then the State has the
obligation to protect the rights of that person.

The question becomes "why must the rights of the embryo or fetus supersede
the rights of the woman?"  I've never heard a compelling answer to that
question.

Here are 2 extreme examples that I believe negate any position that is
completely pro-life or completely pro-choice.

1. If life begins at conception, then an abortion at any time would equal
murder.  Now, murder is murder, whether someone kills a 5 year old child
or a 50 year old grandmother.  Is {anyone} willing to equate those lives
to a "baby" that has been growing in a womb for 2 days?

It has been helpful for me, in discussions like this, to add the term
"viable" to "life."  "Viable life" most assuredly does not begin at
conception.  Before the fetus is viable, it can't be considered to be a
functional, independent human being.

"Viability" refers to pure, physiological criteria and shouldn't be
mistaken for "independent."  A healthy newborn is viable but is not
independent. Heck, I know some healthy 20-somethings who are viable but not
independent.

2. A woman, who is 6 months pregnant, is on her way to the abortion clinic
to get a legal abortion.  Before she gets there, she is mugged and
assaulted by a Right Wing Ant-abortion Protestor.  She ends up in the
hospital, her fetus mortally wounded.  The Whackjob is charged and
convicted of manslaughter. How can it be that he can get convicted of
doing something that she would have legally {paid} to do minutes later?
Is this clearly not an "equal protection" issue?

It's manslaughter because the Whackjob took the decision away from the
woman, who could otherwise have changed her mind at the last minute.

Just my thoughts.  Hardly ironclad, I know.

Dave!

See, I'm kinda with Dave!  on this one--if it's a black and white
issue--i.e. the second the sperm touches the egg it's LIFE! then there would
be no issue.

But people haven't been able to come to a consensus for, well, ever yet as
to when life does begin.  All of them state that when the baby is out and
breathing, then that's life--no questions.

No questions?  Some have decided that
<http://washingtontimes.com/world/20041130-100130-5165r.htm post birth
abortions>  are fine.  Again, I am not comfortable with someone deciding to
abort a baby that is literally seconds from birth, much less X minutes
[after]! It's almost beyond belief.

It is almost beyond belief.  But then, on the oppsite end, there's the 'morning
after' pill that is causing a furor because the republicans want to make it a
perscription drug (or have already done so--can't remember)--they're meddling in
the personal choices of individuals when there might not even be an inseminated
egg.  I find that to be equally beyond belief.

So it appears that even your "out and breathing" parameter is in dispute!

But between conception to birthing, there has been no consensus as to 'this
is life' and 'that isn't' point.

Third trimesters, 20 weeks, conception... whatever...

So again, when there's no consensus, I'm left to make the decision *for me*
and me alone.  For me, any potential child of mine begins when I'm in a
loving committed relationship with someone and we want to have a kid.

There.  That's for me.  Others may take the same approach, and that's their
choice.  However, I won't push that choice on people, nor should I.

And quoting specific legal cases--well, there'll be cases that won stating
the exact opposite.  Until all of us can unequivocably state that "This
point is when life begins", then we're left with our own 'belief'.  If it's
a 'belief', it's something we can't pawn off on others.

Okay, but certainly you wouldn't argue that way for other activities such as
stealing or murder.  I'm not equating abortion with those (unless we are
talking about post term abortions), merely pointing out that leaving
decisions up to individuals isn't necessarily a Good Idea™.

It isn't necessarily a Good Idea, but it is the right thing to do in situations
where 'Society' can't come up with a consensus--if there's no law, then its up
to the individual.  We, as individuals, are allowed to make stupid decisions
that aren't 'Good Ideas'--that's part of being human.

Should society protect someone who is helpless and can't protect themselves?
Yes.  But if we can't agree when that life starts, then it's left in the
realm of 'belief'--that's a personal choice and therefore society should
butt out.

At least, that's how I see it.

I believe we can't decide because everyone is too concerned with their
particular {agendas}, not with solving the issue at hand.  And not deciding
is actually in fact deciding.

I'm a pretty open-minded Christian, and I can't state emphatically when life
begins.  So I just say when it begins for me, and I'll leave other people to
make their own decision.

All this said, if I have a daughter and she comes home pregnant at 15 (as
some kids are prone to do these days), I'll sit down with her and we'll talk
openly about all the options, with my personal belief that she should carry
the baby to term, and either keep it (and me and her mom helping as much as
possible) or give it up for adoption (again, with me and mom there all the
way).

But whatever her choice, it's hers to make and I'll support her.

Of course.  That is what it is all about.  And early enough, I would agree
that ALL options are on the table.  But after a certain point, they should
decrease IMO.  Killing a person for convenience shouldn't be tolerated, in
utero or out.

[JOHN]

Again, killing a person for any reason shouldn't be tolerated, but that brings
us back to the beginning--when does 'the person' begin?

Dave K