 Off-Topic / Debate / 27594
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:26:28 GMT

   Here are some additional thoughts along these lines, expressed at greater length than I was able to put together.

The temptation to equate intolerant Islam and the intolerant Christian Right is simply too great and self-servingly too delicious for the Left to resist. Don’t fall into that blinkered, bigotted hole, Dave!

I will grant to you that both sides are intolerant. But there is one difference that makes all the difference and makes comparisons, while seemingly accurate, completely and unequivocably wrong. Violence. The Islamofascists commit suicide, murder, butchery of all kinds in the name of their God, and the Christian Right, while screaming their agenda, however hateful it may be perceived, do not act out violently. Now, before you start pointing to specific instances of hate crimes perpetrated by so-called Christians, please realize that that behavior is universally condemned by any sort of mainstream Christian. They may even agree with the sentiments of the perpetrator, but they will abhor the violent action taken. And therein lies all of the difference. And all of that “envy” blather is simply wishful thinking upon the biased little mind of the writer. Yes, wishing it were so doesn’t really mean much IRL.

The Christian Right has the right to scream any hateful idea they want, as do the Islamofascists. And one could argue that they both do. But what they do with that intolerance are completely 2 different things.

So that blogger, while cute and clever in his prose, is, in the final analysis, plainly wrong. Let us just imagine how absolutely and completely unglued the Islamofascists would become if anyone dare create a “Piss MoHo” work of art! And then we can compare that reaction to “Piss Christ” or any of the literally 1,000s of offensive works of art aimed squarely at Christianity and see if they are really the same. My money says, “Hell, no!”

JOHN