 Off-Topic / Debate / 27541
Re: Danish cartoons outrage some Moslem groups and nations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:32:30 GMT

   But more and more I’m convinced that we’re not dealing with civilized people. We’re dealing with brainwashed zealots--religious and/or otherwise.

To be fair, this insane response has not been echoed by American Muslims. We must account for that as well....

I want to clarify my response--the people that are ‘taking this to the streets’ with the flag burning and the gun shooting and the life threatening are the uncivilized people--not Muslims or people of middle eastern countries.

Glad you clarified, because now I really have no idea what you’re talking about! Who and where and what are these people about whom you speak?

JOHN

I’m saying that the people that are on the streets with the threatening of life and the shooting of guns in the air and aprtaking in ‘violent demostrations’ are the uncivilized people--it doesn’t matter if they’re muslim. christian, agnostic, or believe in the Flying Spagetti Monster.

Reminds me of a Backer episode when Becker was on a tirade against pan-handlers and people who sleep/eat/urinate in the streets. A local news reporter stated that Becker was racist beause he was against blacks and other ethnic minorities. Becker was then innundated with calls and threats about his ‘racist’ views. To resolve this, Becker did an interview with the reporter--at which point the reporter defended his statement that Becker was a racist--he pointed out that most homeless people in the area were black or ethnic minorities. Becker stated that the reporter was the racist there--when Becker stated that he wanted “them” off the streets, the “them” is the people who urinate in the streets, not the entire ethnic group.

And therein lies all the difference in the world--I know some muslim people--they aren’t out there in the streets or threatening peoples lives.

The cowards-behind-scarfs that are out there with guns and threatening the lives of people are the uncivilized neanderthals.

Should other muslims denounce these jackasses? Absolutely. Do I require it? Nope. When Pat Robertson yaps about strokes vs. Ariel Sharon and what-have-you, I didn’t speak up and denounce him, either, even though I consider myself a christian. I don’t have to stand up and renounce every stupid thing that other christians do--it’s absurd.

What I will stand up and rally against is egregious acts against my fellow person(s)--what I consider to be egregious, anyway--no matter who does ‘em. And I’ll always point to the people committing these heinous acts--not the entire religion or the nationality, or the country, of the person committing said acts.

Which is why, on a different bote, I’m slightly infuriated when I hear from reporters and articles that the “US had no idea that starting the Iraqi war would lead to the quagmire that we’re all in now” or that “the US had no idea that war with Iraq would lead to more US animosity”

No, it wasn’t that the US had no idea, for I heard from many Americans that a war with Iraq would lead to the exact concequences that we face today, but in fact it was the US administration that was clueless. Let’s not place the blame on 300+ million people--let’s place it where it truly lies--the supposed leader and the rest of his inept administration.

But again, that’s just me.

Dave K