 Off-Topic / Debate / 27175
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:57:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:

I am not a nazi. (etc)

I firmly believe that true Nazis (in the sense of the word
where it is associated with a dark political agenda) would
not quite be the kind of people who build Lego spaceships.
Not even the most distorted of Nazi minds out there could
possibly believe that world domination can be achieved by
hanging around on Lugnet.

From your post, I think it is quite obvious that you are cool,
creative, smart and indeed funny, but from many other posts,
it is also obvious that a fairly large number of people took
offense, and quite badly at that.

When people say "noting is too serious to joke about",
what they really mean is more along the lines of
"nothing *should* be too serious to joke about, although
personally I have difficulties finding subject X funny,
regardless of the quality and inspirational level of
the joke".

The problem with humour is that subject X is unknown.
Build a MOC of a small rabbit, and some child will
burst out in tears because their pet bunny just died.
Make one half of a minifig stick out of the mouth of a Lego
shark (hilariously funny to me) and someone will say
"my uncle was killed by a shark, it is no laughing matter".
These are exceptions that would go unnoticed in a crowd,
but insert some holocaust related subject for X, and you
know that too many will take offense for the joke to work.

There are are things which are indeed inappropriate to make
jokes about *in public*. Which ones are not always easy
to know until you have tried.

This particular subject has now been tried. The joke
crashed and burned, and scorched the comedian quite badly
before the flames could be put out. The people who thought
it was even mildly funny would probably be flamed for
admitting it in public, so they shut up and move on to
other, less serious laughing matters. As I'm sure we all
will now.

Play well, but also play it safe. Comedy is serious business. :)

  Stefan G