 Off-Topic / Debate / 27173
Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:35:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.space, Ross Crawford wrote (quoting Larry):
"Richie: Nice contest entry but I don't think it will win."

Asked and answered. Multiple times in fact. One more time: It's a turn of
phrase.

Is it? It's certainly not a common one. Googling the phrase yields nothing, but
that might just be reflecting my lack of googling skills. Perhaps you could
point some uses of that 'turn of phrase' prior to your using it in this thread?

Perhaps you did coin the phrase, and if you did, that's cool, but it is a bit
unfair to expect others to realise it.

And why is this still in .space? I've directed FUT to .o-t.debate, but I'm no
expert in such matters.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

First thing...inventive model, though some would have question your design
selection ;) Personnally I see no real problem with the design...the rotating
blades/wings would probably be useful in slowing landings, reducing fuel
consuption and subsequent environmental impact [1]...and for assaulting close
formations of enemy troops :) [Of course, I assume that's the reason for the
design choice ;) ]

The only problem I see is that this site seems to be run from an "appologist"
nation (in the case of WWII because they wanted to wait until they knew who was
winning before they decided to join in...like in WWI?) who want to try and
"right" the worlds wrongs by:

1) removing anyone who disagrees with them

2) giving certain groups/countrie special privilleges. i.e. we don't want anyone
to have WMD's...but hey, if this country or that country have developed them
(whether or not they acknowledge/confirm it) it's okay...however their
neighbours can't have them as this would destabilise the region.

3) trying to force one version of history on the world:

[
The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good,"
"asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures
throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and
good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with
positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that
often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War
I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th
Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.
]
Taken from: http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm

Next: on the subject of trolls...I've noticed that Larry seems to be quite fond
of them. It seems that quite a lot of the threads he gets involved with, or
branches he starts go this way. Coincidence?

Finally, in reference to the "nice contest entry" comment. To my understanding,
this referred to an actual competition that Larry was assuming we knew about.
His way of trying to weasel out just doesn't seem to make sense...maybe he was
trolling? [Of course, it could just be some obscure seppo phrase from his
locality that he assumes incorrectly that all the world uses. (similar to his
opinion on other things: his way is the only correct way.[2])]

Once again, interesting design Richie :)

[1] After all, there's no mention of them being environmental nazis :)
[2] For example the way he decided to get involved in an Australian thread in an
Australian newsgroup to complain about Australians using Australian Slang.
Sounds very much like someone trying to force their views on the rest of the
world.

[And for the record, I am not a nazi...just so I don't also get accused of
trolling]

Benjamin Whytcross
[Who's probably going to get in trouble for this posting, but what the heck :) ]