 Off-Topic / Debate / 2716
Re: 2000 Dealer catalogue Removal Request Backfire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:11:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
[...]
Bottom line: Those retailer catalogues are the intellectual property of • Lego.
If we don't respect them, why the heck should they respect us?

YES!  YES!  Exactly!

By and large, what gives you the impression that they DO respect US?

Not much, but who cares?  Using "they don't respect me, so I won't respect
them" is circular and self-defeating.

I think you guys are blowing this WAY out of proportion, and based
on the number of regular LUGNET posters and former RTL stalwarts who
have e-mailed me asking for the scans and took the time to include a
comment or two, lots of other people do too.

I think it's been blown way out of proportion too, but that doesn't change the
inherent arguement.  If it's illegal/immoral/wrong/{harmful to the AFOL
community}/whatever to post those scans, that doesn't change by how much of a
fuss gets made.  It's certainly less heated that *some* of the debates get
around here.

The other thing getting blown out of proportion is those pictures.  I mean,
holy cow, is this ever a huge fuss over (no disrespect to the scanner
intended) some pretty lousy pictures.  If there's any one thing that really
says "this is not meant for public consumption" it's quality of those pictures.

all of this, of course: IMNSHO.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/