 Off-Topic / Debate / 25986
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:04:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   That’s why the interment of Japanese civilians was a crime...

Since that happened well before the civil rights movement, the only applicable legality that I can think of is the 5th Amendment (nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law), but I believe they were classified as POWs, in which case I’m not sure there was really any applicable legality, since the Geneva Convention wasn’t enacted until shortly after WW2. So, injustice? Absolutely. Crime? By today’s standards, certainly, but Ex Post Facto still applies.

Oh, absolutely, but I was giving situation-type examples, and today’s racial profiling (of black drivers, of Arab airline passengers, etc.) is of the same species. And regardless of the civil rights movement, it was wrong of the government to imprison innocent civilians in the name of xenophobic national defense.

Uber-loony Michelle Malkin notwithstanding, profiling based on race or culture is wrong, IMO.

Dave!