 Off-Topic / Debate / 25819
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:02:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:

   James, I can tell you why this is an issue with homosexuals. They want to tell other people they are gay because unless they are blatant about it (visually or verbally) you and I don’t know it and they don’t like people NOT to know it. They don’t like people not knowing they are gay, because as the vast majority of people are not, they assume that everyone else is like them too (not gay). They want affirmation from others about their homosexuality. They desire external approval of others regarding their sexual orientation.

Allow me to politely disagree with this view. I don’t think they are seeking any sort of approval - they seem to just wish to avoid disapproval, which is not the same thing. Basically, they just want to post with people who are comfortable with what they are (I neither approve nor disapprove - I just accept them at face value). Inasmuch as I am comfortable with what they are, I tend not to see the reason for a separate forum for that. Wanna post a park scene with nothing but male minifigs holding hands? I don’t have a problem viewing it. I think they are marginalizing themselves, and that they are still going to be judged (I have no filters, for example - if it shows up on the common news scroll, I’ll see it most likely).

I’m wary of the dilution of lugnet with a (possible) social club attached, and the possible attachment of other social groups that really don’t relate to Lego in any particular way, which is why I tried to get someone to actually say precisely what is being asked for (and largely ignored in that request). But...!

...many people whose opinions I respect feel that it was within keeping of the Lugnet hierarchy of forums to include such. So, I give my approval to go ahead (not that it is required in the slightest, of course) - I have a great deal of trust in them.

As you can see from the posts on this issue, they sure don’t want to hear anything negative or less-than-approving of what they want to do. That is something they don’t want to tolerate, and will spend much time trying to label people who don’t embrace what they want to do as ‘homophobic’. And you can’t have a ‘safe space’ if you’ve got ‘homophobic’ people actually disagreeing with what homosexuals want, so now maybe we start down the path to censoring LUGNET people, or maybe banning people because they think differently than a protected sub-class.

I have stated my opinion on the quick-trigger claims of homophobic. It’s too often used in an attempt to marginalize someone’s dissenting opinion by the use of a perjorative label (and even the only statement I noted that I felt was homophobic has been modified). But the use of such pro or con doesn’t really affect the actual decision (at least to me) on whether the proposed forum should be implemented or not.

-->Bruce<--