 Off-Topic / Debate / 25524
Re: suspended Bricklink shops/
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:12:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   To be fair, his response was “How about you implement bulk correctly instead? Seems a better solution to me.” (according to Dan). That doesn’t suggest that ToS be altered, rather that (as Lar saw it) a feature be (re-)implemented correctly.

I’m not clear on what the distinction is; was he not suggesting a change in the way BL operates rather than bring his listing within the ToS? Does that not imply that he wanted the ToS changed?

Does “suggesting a change” really seem to you to be the same as “dictating?” Seriously?

Maybe you think it’s just a matter of spin, but your first (unfounded) claim is simply incorrect (based on all the evidence I have)

OK. Show me your evidence.

   and your most recent claim is exactly correct. While Larry was attempting to get Dan to permit him to bring the wording into Dan’s unspecified field of blessing, Larry suggested a change to the system.

Indeed, he wanted it his way. He suggested* /dictated* / demanded* / intimated* / decreed* / commanded* / requested* / ordered* that the world should spin just the way he wanted.

(*) Delete as appropriate.

Now, you seem to think that Larry -- regardless of his circumstances (what if he’d been hiking the Kamchatkan wilderness?), should have read Dan’s mind as to what exactly he didn’t like, further projected himself into the future to read Dan’s mind in response to every possible change, and then implemented exactly the change that Dan would like.

What makes you say that?

   I think that Dan should have given Larry specific explanation of what was unaccpetable.

I manage to list my items just fine without Dan helping me.

But in the absence of Dan holding his hand, could Larry not have requested guidance?

   Because it sounds like Larry’s correction of his verbiage should have satisfied the spirit AND letter of Dan’s objection.

No, it sounds like Larry was trying to be smart and it backfired. Views expressed here, on BL and in my inbox suggest I’m not alone in that view.

Scott, step back for a second and ask yourself if you’re being reasonable. If the victim in question were someone you liked and respected instead of Larry, would you really take this stance?

I have a lot of time for Larry. But I also have respect for Dan.

Your perception is that I dislike Larry; that is incorrect. I actually have a great deal of respect for him. However, I am also acutely aware that he can really stir the soup when he wants to. He has shown here a few times that the ToS are not always for him; the fact that he’d do the same on BL is not a surprise to me.

   If it’s personal, why not drop it?

Chris, I’m not posting messages in a vacuum here. Quit asking questions and I’ll stop answering them! ;)

   Even if Larry has, in the past, behaved poorly toward you beyond good taste.

What do you mean by “if”... that is an open and shut case! ;)

Scott A