 Off-Topic / Debate / 25451
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:06:40 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Spears wrote:
   Just because BrickLink has the right to pull Lar’s membership, doesn’t mean BrickLink should. It’s my opinion that Admin shouldn’t have handled this situation this way and I’m letting him know that I think he should have handled it better. And that he still could change what has been done.

IMO BrickLink *should* pull the membership of any member who, in BrickLink’s opinion, violates the TOS, and any second-chances or probationary periods are entirely up to BrickLink. People who enter into contracts of membership explicitly authorize BrickLink to revoke membership, and thereby the member voids any questions of “should.”

In your view, why “should” BrickLink not have done so in this case?

Because it’s bad for the stability of Bricklink to revoke membership over minor violations of the TOS. To clarify “minor”; in this case, when the violation of the TOS could be a matter of interpretation.

Also I think it is worth pointing out, that I feel there is a distinct difference between what Bricklink has the right to do and what Bricklink should do. According to the TOS, Bricklink has the right to revoke membership of everyone with an odd number of letters in their name. But Bricklink shouldn’t do that.

   In your opinion do you feel that Lar has erred? That is, can you understand why BrickLink judged it appropriate to revoke his membership?

Did Lar err? Maybe, in that he could have deleted the note in it’s entirety and tried to work with Admin on what wording would be ok, so as to get the effect Lar was looking for.

Can I understand why Admin did what he did? Sure. But I think it was a hasty decision.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral