 Off-Topic / Debate / 25449
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:51:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Spears wrote:
   Quote: “Ok, that comment might have been over the top, but from my point of view, so was Dan’s decision to boot Larry.

I saw that - and I read and make sure I understand the posts before I reply. Your OTHER points did not match that statment, but I do give you credit for making that statment.

Thank you. I’m trying to stay civil, although it’s hard, some comments that some people are making, seem rather inflammitory. (Note - Trying is not always suceeding.) Clarification - I don’t find your above statement inflammitory, it was other comments in this thread, not necessarily by you.

   And I am not saying how great I think Dan is.. I AM saying he did what he did for the reasons he saw. My point in posting is to try to make people understand Dan did the right thing according to Dan. And as much as they may think he is wrong, they still need to accept the fact that it was done - and not be presented with twists of the facts like some people are doing their best to portray.

People rarely do something thinking it was the wrong thing. However occasionally people can be convinced later that while they thought they had done the right thing at the time, perhaps it was the wrong thing. I think there is still an opportunity to resolve this amicably.

I’m not sure I can accept that Admin would have handle this situation exactly like this, if anyone but Larry had been involved.

   I think my opinion matters, at least in the fact that I am a customer of Dan’s business and if I think he treats other customers poorly, it will reflect poorly upon him.

You DO have every right to have an opinion, and yes your opinion does matter, but that does not translate into your opinion having any pull on BL. I am not saying that is what you expcet either.

I have no problem with people saying “I think they should have did this” but when people say “Dan was wrong for doing this” or “Dan did this for this reason” (which is a lie, or an assumption) then I do have a problem with that. I am trying to show them there are different ways to look at this other than their rose colored glasses ;)

Ok, let me rephrase my position; I think that it would have been better to tell Larry that the new wording still wasn’t what Dan was looking for and to give suggestions on how to improve it, rather than to remove Larry, which would obviously cause a ruckuss. I think this should have been the way to handle any minor TOS violation (especially one that was a matter of interpretation) regardless of who was involved.

   But hey, you avoided my ‘customer is always right’ question for the second time ;) whats up with that?

Were those directed at me? Quick look, quoting 25439; “But do you agree that the statment “The customer is always right” is a good theme to strive for, but not law? Anybody (IMHO) that thinks that that statment is true must have never worked with customers IRL.”

I agree it is a good theme to strive for, but not a sure and hardfast law, yes. I have worked with customers in fast food, at a bookstore, at a movie theater, and peripherally in my current job at an appilance manufactorer, and at all of them, “The Customer is always right” was touted as the way to deal with customers. This did not mean that if the customer came in and said “Hey, you owe me a million dollars” we would turn around and give it to them, but rather work with them, find a solution that works for the business and the customer. And never tell them flat out that they are wrong or be rude to them.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral