 Off-Topic / Debate / 253
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:01:42 GMT

Also sprach Terry K:
: Oh!  I get it!    I hate when ascii art is offset. Makes it hard to
: see what the heck is represented.
: Thanks Larry, for lighting that bulb.

If it was offset, it probably means you are using a variable width font.
Try switching to a fixed width font, like courier, and all these nasty
ascii-art mysteries will become clear to you:)

As an aside, another thing that can screw up ascii art is using the tab
character to do spacing.  The tab is standard ascii, but its
interpretation is dependant on machine, operating system, and software.
In the ascii art I did that spawned this dicussion, I used spaces to
position the feet.  If you use tabs you cannot guarantee that everyone
will see the same number of spaces per tab that you do.  Use spaces and
a fixed-width font to guarantee you design and read ascii art correctly.

It's silly, I know, but with the modern ease of binary attachments, the
tradition of ascii art, a mainstay of the BBS era, is threatened.  I
feel so ancient:)

/ _ _ / _ _       "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals.  I'm a
()(-(//((-/       vegetarian because I hate plants." - A. Whitney Brown
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============