 Off-Topic / Debate / 25297
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:51:55 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   You can give gifts of your time. You can not institute an exchange that values your time more highly than another’s.

OK.

So if I know that it takes the average hole digging person an hour to dig a hole of a certain size, and that’s an accepted market value, can I charge 50 minutes to dig it instead of an hour (giving a discount or a gift if you like)?

There isn’t exactly an accepted market value. I’m thinking about this.

   Is that OK if it took me 60 minutes to do it? How about if it took me 50? How about if I am super efficient and it only took me 40? Another’s time is worth 60 and I’m only charging 50... isn’t that OK?

If your answers are “yes, yes, no” (as I think they should be if I understand your system correctly, which I may not)

My first reaction is yes, yes, no. But maybe it really does need to be no, yes, no or it falls apart due to a breach in internal consistency.

   then there is no incentive to come up with more efficient ways to dig holes.

I think people do stuff for reasons of pride every day all the time. I’ve seen it. I’ve done it.

   How do we then make progress?

People who want to pioneer that kind of art will do so whether or not there is significant financial incentive. Those people think it’s cool. Those people could also be paid by prospective excavators to teach their new technique so that their students would be more highly demanded.

   But then, after all, I’m a lousy hole digger. I’m OK with that because I think the world as a whole benefits more from my working an hour at architecting computer software systems (to do things like let bigbox retailers shave 5-50 cents a pallet off their logistics costs or make money transfers go faster and cost less, to pick two examples where we help out) than it does from me digging holes. (and the labor market tells me I’m right)

If remuneration were no object (because they paid the same), and those were the only two jobs available, which would you do? I have a coworker who answers that he’d rather be digging ditches than managing his team because the money is the only thing that keeps him in his stressful position. That, to me, indicates someone who would be better off digging ditches. But there are, I believe, many others that would prefer to manage a team.

Chris