 Off-Topic / Debate / 25287
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:26:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

There's also the fact that marriage generally promotes monogamy,

I'm wondering how commonly held this view is.  It doesn't strike me as true but
I don't have any specific information with which to refute it.  I guess there
was a big study based on a survey in which sixty-some percent of married men
admitted to infidelity (and one presumes there were those who would not, even on
an anonymous survey), but I'm not sure that's exactly refutation either.

Well, one could still argue it promotes monogamy, even if not very
successfully.

Sure, but the root point was that it helps society somehow.  I wonder.

And, people in other parts of the world actually do support female genital
mutilation for the same reasons...and more convincingly, I think.

Chris