 Off-Topic / Debate / 25264
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   ...you suddenly have a nation of taxi cab drivers and no one willing to put forth the extra effort because there is no reward for doing so.

This is a fairly typically cited flaw with communism. It presumes some stuff that don’t jibe with my observations of the real world and I’d be interested to see how you explain them. (Perhaps as annecdotes that don’t mean anything, but if so, I want to see the data from the psych evaluations that you’re using for your broadly implicative claims.)

I know a bunch of scientists. Many, many of them make way less money being physicists and biologists and chemists than they could in private sector IT. But working at Fermilab, trying to unlock the secrets of the universe or doing research and teaching at public universities seems to provide rewards far more important to those individuals than the cash incentive. I know an accomplished attorney who makes way less then I do because he works for individuals for free and part time, for pay, for a charity.

Do you really think most people only do interesting and useful stuff because they’re paid more? The broad evidence that I see (Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn) suggests that providing motivational incentives actually harms the long-term goal of those using “common sense” to set up the incentive programs.

Chris