 Off-Topic / Debate / 25240
Re: Preaching to the Choir
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:02:08 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   And unlike George Bush, I try to never make a statement without backing it up with fact.

Well, Chris, how about that very statement for one? How do you know that George Bush makes statements that he never tries to back up with facts?

He told me so, but then he wouldn’t explain why.

Well, if there is anything that is unhelpful here in this NG, it is sarcasm.

Well I hope this helps:

George Bush knowingly lied to the Congress,

That he reported evidence that was later found to be false is not the same thing as presenting evidence that you knowingly is false. You have no proof of this accusation, because there is none.

   the American People, and the World in his State of the Union Address on January 28, 2003 to make his case for the invasion of Iraq. Numerous “facts” that he stated about Iraqs weapons programs have been shown to be false, and it has further been shown that his administration knew these statements were false prior to the address. This is an impeachable offense.

Now I must ask you to provide specific cites for this allegation, because I reject your assertion.

This is hardly new ground, but alright, here are the specific cites:

From George Bush’s State of the Union Address, January 28, 2003:

Lie #1: “The United Nations concluded in 1999 that Saddam Hussein had biological weapons sufficient to produce over 25,000 liters of anthrax -- enough doses to kill several million people.”

In support of this claim, Bush cited a UN Special Commission report that states with low confidence only that Iraq posessed “growth media” that might be used to develop anthrax. Furthermore, to conclude that the amount of growth media estimated by the UN could produce 25,000 liters was based on a series of dubious assumptions that went well beyond the scope of the UN report. Bush took a report which suggested a possibilty and stated it as fact, couched in terms designed to alarm (dare I say terrorize?) the public.

Lie #2: “The United Nations concluded that Saddam Hussein had materials sufficient to produce more than 38,000 liters of botulinum toxin -- enough to subject millions of people to death by respiratory failure. He hadn’t accounted for that material.”

The UN never “concluded” that Hussein had this material. Hussein had declared 19,000 liters to the UN, and they estimated that he “could have produced” more than double that amount. Bush took the most extreme interpretation of an outside estimate and stated it as fact. The fact that Hussein had actually declared the materials to the UN was conveniently forgotten.

Lie #3: “Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent. In such quantities, these chemical agents could also kill untold thousands.”

This claim was based on a CIA report which only stated that “gaps in Iraqi accounting, and estimates of current production capacity strongly suggest that Iraq maintains a stockpile of chemical agents, probably VX, sarin, cyclosarin, and mustard.” Again, Bush took this report to its worst possible extreme, and stated it in the most alarming terms possible.

Lie #4: “U.S. intelligence indicates that Saddam Hussein had upwards of 30,000 munitions capable of delivering chemical agents. Inspectors recently turned up 16 of them -- despite Iraq’s recent declaration denying their existence. Saddam Hussein has not accounted for the remaining 29,984 of these prohibited munitions.”

The UN report cited earlier credited Hussein with at most 15,000 munitions, and had overseen the destruction of 40,000. Unless Bush sold him another 15,000 that nobody else knows about, he wildly exagerated these numbers. Furthermore, the fact that the UN had already succeeded in ordering the destruction of 40,000 implies that the sanctions were working.

Lie #5: “From three Iraqi defectors we know that Iraq, in the late 1990s, had several mobile biological weapons labs. These are designed to produce germ warfare agents, and can be moved from place to a place to evade inspectors. Saddam Hussein has not disclosed these facilities. He’s given no evidence that he has destroyed them.”

The 3 defectors remain unidentified, and the administration refuses to provide even the least bit of information as to why their testimony was deemed credible. Regardless, no mobile weapons labs have been found. Hussein may not have given evidence that they were destroyed, but to date, Bush has offered no evidence that they ever existed.

Lie #6: “The International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed in the 1990s that Saddam Hussein had an advanced nuclear weapons development program, had a design for a nuclear weapon and was working on five different methods of enriching uranium for a bomb.”

By Iraq’s own admission, they had a fledgling nuclear program in the early 1990s, but the International Atomic Energy Agency reported in 1998 that “there were no indications of Iraq having achieved its program goals of producing a nuclear weapon; nor were there any indications that there remained in Iraq any physical capability for production of amounts of weapon-useable nuclear material of any practical significance.” Bush chose to ignore the latest intelligence and rely instead on the most alarming report from a decade earlier.

Lie #7: “The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.”

Not only did these reports turn out to be false, but it has been shown that members of the Bush administration (including Dick Cheney) knew that this was the case at the time of the SOTU address. The reference had been scrubbed from an earlier speech because the information was deemed unreliable, and Colin Powell refused to use it for the same reasons when he addressed the UN several days after the address.

Lie #8: “Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production. Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide.”

The CIA report on the aluminum tubes was inconclusive at best. Our experts could not state with any certainty that these tubes (which SH hadn’t even succeeded in acquiring) were intended for a nuclear weapons program. However, the IAEA had concluded and had already reported to the UN that the tubes sought by Iraq were not suitable for a nuclear program.

Was SH flouting the UN resolutions? Of course! But it was the UN’s job to enforce those resolutions and we had no business taking any enforcement action over the objections of the UN Security Council. On the other hand, Bush purposely distorted the facts available to him in such a way as to alarm the American people and silence opposition to an ill-conceived, poorly-planned, and illegal invasion of a sovereign nation. Bush still refuses to provide any proof to back up his wild exagerations, or even acknowledge that he may have made some mistakes in overstating his case for war.

So John, how exactly are these direct lies to Congress, the American People, and the world not grounds for impeachment? I sense another dodge coming on...

   After much debate, the legislature authorized the invasion of Iraq,

Did the president force Congress to vote for war? They had access the exact same evidence that was presented to the President!

   contingent on the president filing a finding within 48 hours of the invasion containing proof of two facts: (1) that Iraq posessed WMD, and (2) that all diplomatic avenues had been completely exhausted.

Do you know what Bush’s “finding of proof” was? He quoted back the very declaration that asked him to provide this proof! He took the assumptions spelled out by the Senate and quoted them back as if the Senate had concluded these to be fact!

They did assume it to be fact; why else did they approve of the invasion in the first place? Everybody assumed it to be fact!

You are wrong here, John. The Senate resolution authorized the invasion of Iraq only if the president filed a finding of fact within 48 hours of the invasion to prove the two facts that I stated above. As with any legal document of this type, the Senate resolution began by stating the underlying assumptions which Bush was required to prove.

Bush’s “proof” was to quote the assumptions back as if they were a declaration of fact, concluded by the Senate. If the declaration included these statements of “fact” then it would hardly call upon the president to provide evidence to back up those statements, now would it? (Oh, that ‘s right, you reject logic.)

I dispute your assertion that “everybody” assumed that Bush’s lies to be fact, but even so, this does not meet the burden of proof that was required of Bush by the Senate. His declaration of fact wouldn’t even have earned him a C at Yale.

   Furthermore, he never even attempted to prove point #2, that all diplomatic efforts had failed.

SH could have strung Blix along indefinitely. Scum like SH laugh at diplomats.

If that were the case, then why didn’t Bush spell this out, as required by the resolution as a prerequisite for invading Iraq?

   Bush is in violation of the very act which authorized his invasion.

So you would have advocated an immediate withdrawal after no WMDs were found? How is Bush in violation?

My point has nothing to do with the fact that no WMD were found. My point has everything to do with the president ignoring the legal obligations of his office on the way into war. The fact that no WMD were found simply underscores the dangers inherent in the kind of blind arrogance our president is afflicted with.

   He has refused to provide facts to support the premise of the invasion.

??? All of Congress saw the facts he used.

Again, Congress approved the invasion only on the condition that Bush provide a declaration of proof that his allegations against Saddam Hussein were true. Bush never provided any such proof.

   Clear enough for you? The man is an international outlaw,

Then would you advocate him standing trial before the Hague?

Why not? We can’t expect to hold other nations to the rule of laws that we ourselves do not respect and obey.

   and the American public will be complicit in his crimes if we don’t throw the bum out of office.

   If you have a given institution, say marriage, that is defined as the union of 1 man and 1 woman, and you change that definition to something other than that, you have, in essence, forever altered that institution, and thus destroyed it. It ceases to be what it once was.

Oh, alright. Now I understand. Simply to change it means you destroy it.

See, now I can’t ascertain whether you are serious or being sarcastic.

:)

See, now is that a grin, or an evil grin?

   This still doesn’t explain why that is a bad thing, and why you were so willing to go around in circles for weeks on end on the topic. As you are trying to do once again.

Why don’t you explain why changing the definition of marriage is a good thing. Again I defy you to come up with an alternative definition. Nobody will.

See you in November, John.

I’m not sure what that means exactly, but I’ve noticed that you have avoided my direct challenge twice now....

If you had been reading this thread, you would realize that I have already explained this to you. I will not waste my time endlessly debating with you about an issue as relatively trivial as same-sex marriage (especially when you admit that you have a closed mind anyway) when our country is going to hell in a rocket.

I will gladly come back and discuss that issue with you ad nauseum after we vote George W. Bush out of office in November.

   What personal liberties of yours have been eroded?

Our e-mail and telephone conversations are routinely scanned by the government, as are the list of books that we purchase or borrow at the public library.

Are you claiming that these actions began at the behest of the Bush Administration?

Are you claiming that they did not?

By any chance are you closely related to Scott Arthur? ;-)

Seriously, you are attacking the Bush administration’s policies that you claim are eroding personal liberties. You gave an example of email and phone conversations being monitored. If these policies were in place before Bush came into office, I think it’s disingenuous to blame him for them.

The Patriot Act was enacted under the Bush administration, slammed through the congress right after the worst terrorist attack on American soil. Regardless of whether some of its provisions had been sought by previous presidents, I submit that the gross violation of basic constitutional rights that this vile piece of law represents were championed by Bush, Cheney, and Ashcroft.

   US citizens and foreign nationals are taken into custody and held without charges or due process of law for years on end.

For one who hates generalities, you use them a lot. Specifics.

Guantanamo Bay. Abu Ghraib. Even Afghanistan and America have been the locations of these unconstitutional arrests and human rights violations. I would be more specific with names and dates, except that in the most eggregious cases, the government will not release this information.

   These are violations of my rights and yours, even if we personally have not (to our knowledge) had them violated. Yet.

Again, without knowing specifics, I would draw no conclusions.

See above.

   and to ignore international law.

International law does not and never will trump US law. That is why being a member in an international body such as the UN is a bad idea.

To ignore international standards of conduct is to become a rogue nation.

Whose standards would those be? Sudan’s? China’s? North Korea’s? To what standards are you referring? If ignoring their standards means being a rogue, then so be it!

Hmm... We signed the Geneva Convention, did we not? Yet we have sought in this “war that is not really a war against terror” to avoid answering to this long-held norm of conduct.

That’s because it deals with very specific definitions, and al-Qaeda does not conform to the Geneva Convention’s definition of combatants.

That is a load of BS. If international law does not trump US law, then it does not trump Iraqi law, or North Korean law, or Iranian law. If we expect to hold anyone to standards of civility and decency, we must first hold ourselves to those same standards.

   Invading a sovereign nation in “preventive war” has never been accepted under international law, either.

So if a brutal dictator were executing his citizens by the 100,000s and you knew it and you could end it, you wouldn’t because of the sovereignty of his nation?

Which sounds nice, but wasn’t the reason Bush told us we needed to go into Iraq. It is merely a convenient afterthought now that Bush’s lies have been exposed. There are plenty of countries ruled by brutal dictators that we haven’t intervened in. And our intervention is the primary reason why Iraq was saddled with Hussein in the first place.

- Chris.