 Off-Topic / Debate / 25068
Re: polygyny in "biblical times"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   As the header & my initial post suggests, my point was only that polygyny did exist in “biblical times” in historic Israel. I am not saying that the bible encourages it... only that it was not uncommon.

Well... uh... since the quote you used really doesn’t seem to imply a polygynal relationship between the bridegroom and the virgins unless taken out of context, shouldn’t you have found a better quote, unless you were making a joke? I mean, as a joke it worked really well...

What does it imply to you?

That you were making a joke? Great! A joke it was.

   Ha! That’s awesome. Who edited the text? The same people who run Fox news? The fact that they cut out “feast” from “marriage feast” is hilarious. I’m almost suprised they didn’t cut out words from intermittant sentences and mash them together in a Simpson-esque manner.

Do you think that negates my point?

Negates your joke? By no means! Does it negate your “point” that polygyny was still common in NT times? No, but it unless it was solely a joke, your use of the quote had about as much relevance as you talking about which brand of charcoal you prefer-- short of the fact that it was actually a biblical reference.

DaveE