 Off-Topic / Debate / 25018
Re: Santorum Fails In His Effort To Pervert The Constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:59:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   Well, you seem to have a problem with the term ‘marraige’ being redefined.

EUREKA! Really, is it that obscure what I’m arguing?

No. The obscurity is why you are so fixated on wishing for the permanence of that definition.

   The point is that marraige has been redefined many times in the past

I don’t know what you mean. Provide examples, if you please.

   and has many different definitions today. The point is that marraige is defined by whatever the conventions and traditions of the day require, and just as conventions and traditions change over time, so does marraige. I’m kind of baffled why you think this is such a problem.

I don’t think marriage, until rather recently, has ever been defined as anything other than the union of 1 man and 1 woman. But again, I am open to cites that prove to the contrary.

I understand they use a slightly different definition in Utah.

And in California and Massachusetts, but it’s still illegal.

I happen to like the way marriage has been defined for the past millenia or two, and I don’t appreciate activist groups attempting to change that definition via judicial fiat for their own personal agenda.

Whether or not you or I like the definition is irrelevant. Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not - such is life.

Change comes when the majority decide it should change, not a tiny minority.

JOHN