 Off-Topic / Debate / 24800
Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:55:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
Flying against the planetary rotation might get you somewhere, I'm not sure
how all the dynamics work. What I do know is that in the northern
hemisphere, especially over most of the US, the jetstream is a significant
contributor to West to East speed. Look at airline flight times.

Basic physics says that if you spin the world in one direction, the air will
(generally) spin in the other direction (counter-rotation, equal/opposite
reaction and such), which should carry you even faster into the rotation and
fight you even harder when you chase it.  Forgot about the jet streams...  :)

Last I remember of Halley, Hadley and Coriolis that's not how it works, but it's
been quite some time since I last looked at that kind of thing.  The basic
physics as I remember the model is that the heated air around the equator rises
(the doldrums, famous for heat, no wind, and lots of moisture in the air),
dumping its moisture as it cools, breaks north and south at the tropopause,
generally descends at Latitude 30 (the horse latitudes, where sailing ships
dumped the dead horses they were transporting overboard because of the heat and
lack of water - you can tell I'm one of these Pirate guys, eh?), compressing,
heating (and causing the two bands of desert north and south along those
latitudes), and then moving back towards the equator, which is now moving faster
east than the air is which has slowed down to the rotational speed at the
higher/lower latitudes, which (if I can complete this ridiculously long sentence
made worse by these constant parenthetical remarks) appear to come out of the
northeast/southeast due to that lag.  There are two more major cells, but the
basic concept is the same.  I don't recall anything about equal/opposite
reaction, but feel free to expand my education if I have erred!  :-)

Your explanation of hot air movement and how it affects weather and climate
matches my memory of the facts a lot better than the previous hot air
explanation did. Thanks for posting that!