 Off-Topic / Debate / 24759
Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:49:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
No, and I admit, I would have a harder time placing Kansas with just a map
of natural features.

See, there's one of the things I'm wondering about.  Do Europeans and such have
an easier time of placing their home town on a world map or globe where
everything is color-blocked by nations?  I grew up seeing a US map that was
color-blocked by State.  When you switch to a world-map, it's probably a lot
harder to figure out where you live in the center third of the US, but Europeans
still get to see their nation blocked out in roughly the same shape as they do
on their national map.

Of course if Russia ever starts to have a population explosion and wants to
settle more of it's land...

Heh.  Would they ever want to?  Siberia has a huge social stigma associated with
it, in part due to the fact that policitally annoying individuals were sent
their as punishment.  The American West was highly romanticized during the
pioneering days, and that interest never fully subsided.  Also, Eastern Russia
is a huge expanse without very few natural waterways that can be used for
transportation, and the lack of existing man-made travel infrastructure would
make it very expensive, especially considering the limited arability of the
surrounding land.  For how low the population is, Siberia is very resource
dependant with not much to offer in return beyond a pair of steel rails linking
Moscow to the Orient, and oil reserves that are largely situated near Western
Russia, where they won't prompt much growth into the interior.