 Off-Topic / Debate / 2465
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:02:10 GMT

I pay $28 per year to keep a PO Box on campus at my college

Lot's of places won't ship to PO Boxes, though, right?

Well, sort of.  Ours is technically not a Post Office as the USPS defines a
Post Office (sort of like the whole space vs. Space thing).  It's the same as a
mail room at a large business and they can also accept UPS and Fed Ex.  They
sign for our packages, and then make us sign to pick them up from the post
office.

Also, our addresses are not "PO BOX 1234" anymore, they are "1234 University
Station" now since apparently the off-campus Post Office was getting our mail
and we were getting theirs.  Before though, even when I said "Box 1234", with a
little reassuring, most companies would ship to me even if PO Boxes were
against policy.  Only one time have I had a company refuse me, and since it was
computer equipment, I just called the next guy on the list with the same
product at the same price and did business there instead.

I wonder ... what would people who think using a work address as a
shipping address would think if say I had a job that required me to
travel most of the time, being in another city for weeks or months.
Would it still be cheating to use that apt or hotel address?  Sounds
like a lot of potential for gray...

If you had one sent home, or one sent to every city you spent time in, I think
it would be against the spirit of the "one per address" policy.  I personally
think it would be great if you were travelling all over for business, staying
one or three nights in each city and your nightly routine was to check into the
hotel and pick up your package.  One for home and one for work is not too far
out of line IMO, especially if there are two people that want whatever you're
ordering.

I've used deals that were "one per e-mail address" before.  That's laughable
since you can have unlimited addresses if you have your own server.  In my case
though, I can address e-mail to any computer in our Computer Science department
(and have it all forwarded to my real address automagically) so I only have
about 50 or 75 addresses.  I usually limit myself to only 10-15 though. :)

I think to make the point clear that they should say "One per person" and that
would make it more fair.  Sure, married couples can get twice as many things as
I can, but they have to share and I (mostly) don't.

Ben Roller