 Off-Topic / Debate / 24640
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 01:23:21 GMT

As for the UN, I can't recall nearly as many cases of the UN stating that a
government was legitimate (dejure governance) as I can recall reports of coups
(defacto governance).

Typo!

This should read "wasn't legitimate" rather than was. That is, the UN hardly
ever says anything bad about a government's legitimacy, compared to the number
of coups. So the UN seems to see coups as (at least defacto) an OK way to change
governments. Or so it would seem. Just about every government out there, even
ones that almost anyone would agree were imposed without any choice by the
citizenry, seems to have a seat there, after all.