 Off-Topic / Debate / 24460
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:50:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   It’s interesting to see the rather partisan spilt in opinions expressed in this thread...

Which parties?

The party of those who “deplore his methods” (quotes deliberate) but think he can nevertheless do no wrong since his cause is just and who embrace all sorts of lies and mean spirited things when Moore (or others in their pantheon of “heroes”) carry them out, but call others on far less. IOW, those who feel the ends justify the means.

vs.

The party of those who think truth and proper procedure have some not inconsiderable importance, and wish it mattered more to the media in the ordinary run of things, rather than being handy weapons to be used against those that the particular media outlet (of whatever stripe) wants to besmirch at the time. IOW, those who feel that the means matter in achieving the ends.

That’s my guess. I am sure it’s not what Scott actually meant, but it’s what he SHOULD have meant.

Let me repeat, I think it’s very possible to detest Moore and his methods and and fervently wish Moore would shut up and go away, but nevertheless be a singer in the chorus calling for Bush’s head (for example).