 Off-Topic / Debate / 24263
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:34:07 GMT

(snipping)

   views. Perhaps I should ask why so many sects of Abraham-descended religions are so pathologically antisexual?

I’ll need to think about this angle some more.

It is a misnomer to characterize the Judeo-Christian tradition as antisexual. We are all for sex, but within the context of marriage. Sex outside of marriage erodes at the institution of the nuclear family, upon which society is built. If everyone were having free sex there would be no incentive to marry and raise a family. If you really believed we are animals, you would notice that this survival strategy is pervasive in nature.

   That’s essentially what bothers me about the demonization of sexuality; we’re animals, our parents were animals, and our grandparents were animals, all the way back to the beginning. What is the benefit in denying this aspect of ourselves?

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! :-)

Seriously, isn’t that what being human is all about-- about suppressing our animal instincts and controlling our own destinies? Being human means differentiating ourselves from animals, not denegrating ourselves as equal with them.

JOHN