 Off-Topic / Debate / 24259
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:45:35 GMT

It's also interesting to me that pundits are constantly railing against the
alleged banishment of religion from the public square, but sexuality is much
more thoroughly banished from public view, and certainly from public
discourse, though it's been a part of human culture for far longer than
relgioin!

What is the link you see (or want to see) between time-in-culture and publicity?
Maybe the fact that religion keeps reinventing itself is specifically why it
stays newsworthy while human sexuality is mostly static.  (And note that when we
do have cultural discussions about issues of a sexual nature, it is in response
to changing mores (e.g. those produced by the advent of serious sexually
transmitted infections) or once-fringe sexual behavior gaining momentum (e.g.
pornography and bondage).)

But I'm all for taking a stand in the de-tabooization of sex.  My daughter (2.5
years old now) is still breastfeeding (which is scandalous in itself :-) and my
wife is starting to feel uncomfortable doing so in public.  I'm helping her to
stay comfortable and telling her that it's her duty to keep it up as long as she
can stand it to bring needed change to the world.  We should feel comfortable
with our bodies and our mamalian reproductive habits and our almost uniquely
human recreational adaptations of those behaviors.

Chris