 Off-Topic / Debate / 24131
Re: From Richard: "It's all bad news - Chaos is my fault"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 21:34:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

snip

   Richard Still baldly going...

Now this is why I hang out here..

Very nicely stated, Richard.

Hmmm, I thought it was a bit long winded and sort of lost track at the per capita part. In my politically incorrect world it seems a large part of the problem is those darned capitas. The third world produces so many of them it messes up the whole per thing.

This is only part of the picture, but you do have a point. You may find it interesting to search Google for “Bush birth control

The reality is that developed countries are substantially responsible for much of the problems in the developing world. An Example: As I type, the US & EU are funding farmers, at huge cost, to produce food which nobody wants using methods which damage our environment. Right now the USA alone spends $10 billion per year supporting corn farmers.

Because there is no market for this production it is “dumped” on markets in developing countries at prices which local farmers can’t compete with. These farmers then loose their livelihood and communities loose important skills.

The great thing about this issue is that you can act locally to help farmers in developing countries. You can do this by buying “fairtrade” goods(1). The goods often cost more, but are usually better quality and organically grown… and they come guilt free. ;-)

Scott A

(1) Or your domestic equivalent.

   In first world public school we were beaten senseless with the “no more than 2.1 per” mantra. But following that rule in the first world, and not in the 3rd leads to an even greater imbalance between the per capitas. I think that’s the real reason for all the really nasty problems, but I don’t know how to fix it.

Don