 Off-Topic / Debate / 24123
Re: From Richard: "It's all bad news - Chaos is my fault"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 20:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
80% mortality?  Not likely.  In fact, the opposite is true;
that's what's helping the problem of overpopulation along.
The real pushing force is the *labor value* of children; in
agricultural societies--or, better put, societies that still
maintain agricultural values systems, which would include
most of the "third world"--children equal a support system
for the family.  At least, that's how it's supposed to be in
a subsistence or near-subsistence economy; beyond the goal
of accounting for pre-reproductive-capacity death, you also
have the positive goal of producing kin that equal social and
economic capital.  It's not a cold calculation (children = $$)
but rather one that's made without concern for money itself.

Are you sure about that?  Children have very little labor
value in our society, and I still see the have-nots reproducing
faster.  You've hit ONE reason, but not nearly ALL reasons.

   Value systems die very hard.  I was speaking primarily
   about the "third world" (or as we like to call it, the
   "two-thirds world"), but it's not hard to see that when
   people come here, the values system that promotes large
   families tends to have a certain inertia that takes
   generations to overcome.  It exists amongst people who
   are already in this society, too, but again it may have
   to do with a very different prioritization in life.

   Having met, again, a lot of folks while in southern Africa
   who have huge families, and seeing just how vital the
   extended kin network is to their sense of being and their
   lives, I can see this.  Right now, however, with 80% un-
   employment in some township areas (!!!), large kin networks
   mean it is that much more likely that ONE person has a job.
   That one person then supports much of the family.  It's a
   lousy dynamic, and far removed from the days of bridewealth
   and cattle kraals, but it still tends to encourage fecundity.
   For all one hears about family breakdowns, too, these folks
   really *do* love all their children.  It's heartening.

This is part of the reason that wealth has almost always
been the chief correlation to low reproductive rates--the
wealth itself provides those benefits, and children are a
net drain for the first 14-18 years of their lives on the
family economy.  Sure, some do defy that trend, but even in
the poorest countries infant/pre-18 youth mortality is not
even close to eighty per cent.

Hmm, is that wealth the cause, or the result?  Or are they
both the result of something else?  I'm going with answer 3.

   Correlation was what I stated, but it's a little bit of
   both.  The trouble is that people get very little benefit
   from starting with lowering reproduction; it's far more
   likely that some amount of wealth comes first.  Certainly
   the existence of law that protects said wealth is a help,
   which is something Larry pointed out.

As for what Don pointed out--that the have-nots reproduce
faster--that has always been true; but the conclusion he draws,
that it will swamp the "haves," is only so if the labor of the
added population does not add value to the total system.  Given
that it does so, and at least at present faster than the rate of
both inflation and rich-poor imbalance, some of those "have nots"
will continue to become "haves"--it is more a ratio than a hard
and fast number.  If you want examples, just look at those
immigrant communities of the 1960s and 1970s in Britain and
the USA, or better yet, look at the last 10 years in South Africa,
and the total wealth creation.

I hope you're right, but I have trouble believing it.  It seems
so difficult to measure.

   When you have over six billion data points, it's very very
   hard to measure.  But think about it this way: people have
   been screaming about the collapse of society into a sea of
   indigent mouths, or worse, since Malthus broached it centuries
   ago.  It hasn't happened, and in fact the rate of wealth creation
   in what we might consider "real terms" (it's so hard to make
   good comparisons, sadly) has kept pace with the population.
   We've generally, as a planet, found ways around the gloom and
   doom, though that is of course no guarantee that we always will.

   I'd tend to err on the side of optimism, however, given that I
   know a fair number of people who have made good in countries
   ranging from the amenable (UK, US, Netherlands) to the less likely
   (South Africa, Zambia, Senegal).  I have a certain faith in the
   ability of human beings to rise when they are not subject to
   predation by forces beyond their knowledge, which is sadly
   very often the case in the corrupt and/or neocolonial regimes
   of the Third World.

What is the statistic that appeared in the Independent today?
If your surname is "Patel" in the UK, you are something like
four times more likely to be a millionaire than if your surname
were "Smith," despite there being ten times as many Smiths.

So yeah, it's both worse and better than you think.  The real
solution is for the "have have haves"--those in the West who
make the millionaires look dirt-poor--to stop collecting such
obscene wealth, and use some of it for job creation in the areas
with those "capitas."  The problem is not that they don't want
to work and succeed, but overwhelmingly that unemployment is
kept high so that wages may be kept unfeasably low and, thus,
profit margins obscene, which in turn gives the "obscene-haves"
their obscene, er, havings.

That's one of my pet peeves with the republicans.  They do a
good job of pruning the trees so they produce more fruit, but
then they like to claim ownership of the trees.  The democrats,
on the other hand tend to distribute more fruit, but let the
trees fall into disrepair.  And of course those distributing
the fruit always keep more for themselves.

   I tend to believe that most philosophies have some basis
   in reality, and speak to some great truths, and would all
   generally work if they could actually take into account
   the way things ARE as opposed to the way they SHOULD BE.
   That's something Machiavelli, for example, understood; and
   it does tend to militate against optimism to bear such a
   mercenary view of humanity in mind.  I mean, the "invisible
   hand" of the market is a great concept, and in theory works
   well, but human beings know how to screw each other well
   enough that it doesn't work.  And communism?  Same deal,
   only even worse because it requires the uncorking of the
   genie of violent revolution and makes the farcical suggestion
   that human beings will willingly dismantle a government.
   Some might, but not enough to make such a fantasy work.

The answer to the problem isn't communism or capitalism; rather,
it's a healthy sense of moral responsibility to those who make
the wealth of the insanely rich possible.  If for nothing else,
I have respect for Bill Gates for a certain acceptance of that
(though only to a point).

Or bring back the Death taxes.  Make 'em decide between a charity
of their own choosing, or the nasty government beaurocrats.  If
you could find a politician selfless enough to do this, I'd probably
vote for 'em.  The wealth does us no good if it stagnates in a
few lucky pockets.  Put it back into the society that generated
it.

   The trouble is that some of us didn't inherit a whole lot,
   but the realization that one's children can inherit is very
   powerful indeed.  The money of the super-rich does tend to
   do work, it just works mostly in the cause of extracting yet
   more wealth from people who have very little.  It's easy to
   engage in highly unethical (if not outright immoral) commercial
   activity when you never actually have to deal with any of the
   people you're visiting your interests most heavily upon.

   And that's my biggest beef with globalization.  If the shanty-
   towns of SE Asia and Africa were all over the US that consumes
   those cheap goods, we'd behave very differently indeed.

   all best

   LFB