 Off-Topic / Debate / 24099
Re: What's a freedom fighter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 15:40:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

Even more telling is the truly American approach of simply filtering out the
feedback that does not proceed rationally from the established mindset.

See?  I told you Australians hate freedom.

They love it; most of their grandparents were convicts. ;)

Ha!

No convicts in my line as far as I know (I'm sorry to say), but definitely some
displaced Irish, downtrodden English, and the odd Scot.  Mind you, that was all
a long time ago, and its not like genealogy has been a big interest in my family
- we kinda take people as they come.

And there's no denying that convict beginnings has a lot to do with Australia's
cultural identity, including our general cynicism in relation to all authority,
its motives and its practices.

One of our more endearing qualities ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...