 Off-Topic / Debate / 24076
Re: Shrek 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 14:17:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Terry Prosper wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tim Courtney wrote:

   You’re right, John. I have a big problem with teaching kids that young about erotic attire and attitudes. One example I especially loathe -- and you may have seen this in your time out shopping -- is Club Libby Lu. They teach 4-year-olds the ‘I can shake it like that’ song among other things, and in my opinion, all of the promiscuous themes that go along with it.

I agree. Some songs are sexually explicit or have dance moves to sensual for 4 y.o. But then again, a 4 y.o. doesn’t understand as much as a 13 y.o... And would you tell your 13 y.o. not to see Shrek 2 because of the Thong scene? Could you tell him/her that the popular music is too sexy for his/her age?

I’m more concerned about the indoctrination of the 4yo than I am about the 13yo being exposed to the reference he/she already understands. Kids today are being taught more and more about sexuality at a younger age -- the problem is they’re being taught and told how to act about it by the entertainment industry, not their parents.

   The hip-hop music and its celebration of promiscuity, hedonism, objectification of women, etc will only teach our children that these attitudes and actions are acceptable and expected of them. I fear for the generation going through grade school and Jr. High right now, and what the entertainment profiteers’ messages will inspire them to do when they’re older. It is truly dangerous.

Hmmm... Hedonism is acceptable to me. What isn’t is the objectification of women. Now, you seem to put those 2 together, as if they go together, but women have a sexuality and they too can appreciate it.

They *do* go together, because the producers of media content (that most consume without questioning it, like sheep led to the slaughter) put the two together.

   What this generation will do when they are older isn’t any worst than what my generation did. Our elders thought the same about us. this line of thought you have (it’s dangerous!) is very retro. All generations seem to go further than the previous generation, but in the end, it’s called evolution. Would you rather have the man working, the woman at home like a couple of decades ago? Well, if my parents didn’t act outrageously when they were young, maybe the society would still be like that. Fortunately, they helped our society evolve by breaking taboos. I am all for it.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you.

I think it is unraveling society. It is teaching children to be more selfish, image-driven, careless towards others, greedy, and destructive. And the part that infuriates me the most is this cultural change is driven by a profit motive -- it isn’t natural -- the media is encouraging it and there’s big money to be made. They don’t care about the social cost, they don’t care about the lives it destroys, they just care about becoming filthy rich.

Entertainment today is not serving the public good. I don’t believe the popular music industry has much to do with art as it does with profit and exploitation of artists. What the industry is doing is sedating the masses, depoliticizing them, giving them temporary soma so they forget about political and social issues that affect them, and disincenting them to excel. They send the message that everyone deserves a lavish lifestyle--without the work that is associated with earning it. It has created, and will continue to create, a society of young brats who think the world owes them something without any effort expended on their part. A generation who believes the only social problems in the world are the fact that their boyfriend screwed them and left, or that Nick and Jessica got into a fight on Newlyweds last week.

-Tim