 Off-Topic / Debate / 24070
Re: What's a freedom fighter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 05:43:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   At least, that’s a possibility of some of these ‘insurgents’. Maybe they think of themselves a ‘freedom fighters’.

I know, I know. I promised myself I’d try to stay away from .debate. But this freedom fighter thing got me thinking. What’s a freedom fighter? Who gets to decide? Were the IRA ever called freedom fighters? How are they generally perceived in Canada and Europe? A force for good, or a villianous gang?

“GWB’s puppets of tyranny” sounds about right. Most people here think of this as a military invasion and therefore, an illegal intrusion in another country. The fact that Saddam isn’t in power anymore is good, but the price to pay was too high. Our souls are too valuables to sell it for Saddam’s head. Anyway, Saddam never threatened to kill our PM’s father, so we didn’t expect anyone here to invade Iraq on false accusations (WMD...)

BTW, isn’t the USA calling everything that was French Freedom now? Like French Fries? Maybe a Freedom fighter is a French Fighter? :-)

Laugh it up, if it wasn’t for the French, you would still be an English colony... Without their help, UK would have wiped the American troops easily. And now, the UK and the USA are the invading duo and France and Canada are worthless sissies... Feh.