 Off-Topic / Debate / 23961
23960  |  23962
Subject:
Bill O'Lie-ly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 16:48:13 GMT

http://www.billoreilly.com/currentarticle?JSESSIONID=ArEAcMYfw9skGeoHvq4PL6bjhfOWeJkaOHDvKW7YSgNaKCTnr7Nh!-1916376073

Nice article Bill.

Let me point out just a few spins from the 'no spin zone'...

"
Even countries like Canada are no longer dependable allies. According to a
Macleans poll, 38% of Canadians say their attitude toward the USA has worsened
since 9/11. Almost half of our friends to the north see America as arrogant,
bullying or dangerous.
"

Well, to start, this infers that due to 9/11, our attitude worsened towards
America.  I don't think that's exactly the case.  More like the 'war on terror'
has caused the worsening of Canadian's attitudes towards the US.

Lest you forget, Bill O'Spin-ly, which country was there for you completely and
unquestionably during and after 9/11?  Where were the majority of your planes
diverted to that morning?  Offered and contributed support and services via
police, firefighters, etc.?  (along with many other countries, to be sure)

Yet we disagreed with your little "tirade on terror", and now you don't like us?

"
To be sure, the Bush administration's non-compromising stance in Iraq and
insistence that terror-enabling states be confronted (Axis of Evil) have put off
many foreigners who embrace a far more passive approach toward terrorism. But
the Canadian situation exemplifies what is truly going on in this world.

"

The Canadian situation exemplifies what is truly going on?  What, that we
actually think for ourselves?  That we can see that Iraq posed no threat, that
there was no 'clear and imminent danger' for invasion?  For not following you
into this debacle, sinking in the quicksand with you?

We threw you a rope.  That's waht a true friend does.  True friends don't
mindlessly follow you wherever you want to go--a true friend offers other
alternatives.  And it wasn't just Canada, it was all the countries not part of
'the coalition of the willing'.  Because you didn't listen, you're angry with
us?

"
Over the past two decades, Canada has become committed to secularism and
government entitlements. Subsidized medical care, decriminalization of
marijuana, gay marriage, extensive welfare for newly arrived immigrants and an
aggressively liberal Canadian Broadcasting Company have all become part of the
culture. The eastern Canadian press is especially anti-American, and delights in
hammering their more traditional American neighbors.
"

Oh my goodness!  Allowing consenting adults the freedom to choose their own
lifestyles??  To have 'free' medical coverage for every citizen of the country?
This is your arguememnt?  Yeah, I can see why you'd have fault with that.  Oh,
and "Waah!  We're being picked on!  They make fun of us!"

"
But here's the salt in the wound. The Canadian Broadcasting Company and the
Toronto Globe and Mail have reported on the deserters and put them in a
sympathetic light. The CBC reporter, Gillian Findlay, said Hughey wanted no part
of "George Bush's war..." her words, not Hughey's.

And the Globe and Mail columnist Heather Mallick says the two guys are "fine
American men."
"

Remember well the lessons of Vietnam.  How many deserters fled to Canada during
that war?  And yet now you have an issue with 2 people hopping the border.

I don't know them, but these two Americans did what they beleived to be
right--they are against your dubious war and did what they had to.  Their
choices.

"
On my television program, I have advised the Canadian government that if the
deserters are not returned post-haste, I will no longer buy Canadian products or
visit the country. I believe many Americans will take the same stance.
"

A boycott by O'Fib-ly followers.  Oh no!  What is Canada to do!  Will we
survive??

That's it.  I just had to write something.

Is it me or do the more 'conservative elements' of the US media/political system
want everyone to be 'ditto-heads'--if you talk against them, you're the enemy.
Just tote the 'party line' and you'll be just fine?

Rush, Bill, and the Republicans all seem to say the same thing--follow what we
say blindly or you're aiding the bad guys.

Think for yourselves people.  I'm not right most of the time (ask people here),
but the idea is discourse and debate of various sides of an issue can only be
good.  Shutting down opposition in the manner which appers to be happening of
late, in my opinion, is a terrible direction for society and civilization in
general.

But in the end, boycott us Billy Boy.  We've managed thru greater crises before.

And I'm sure the liberal CBC will find no end of entertainment value from your
little boycott.

Dave K
-who now has a reason to actually watch RCAF and other CBC comedy shows over the
next few weeks